Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)


This visa lets parents live in Australia for up to two years if they are the parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

You can apply separately for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) to stay in Australia permanently.


You might be able to get this visa if you:

  • are sponsored
  • meet the balance-of-family test
  • are prepared to pay much higher visa application charges for faster processing.